We go into deeper the different components of the upper-level 500 mb chart discussed the earlier Friday, April 20th, 2018 10:30 to 11:30 AM free seminar “An Introduction to Upper-Air 500 Mb Concepts & Charts” as a prerequisite to this paid workshop. This will allow for your further understanding of this important tool for self-reliant marine weather forecasting & vessel routing offshore & on the high seas.
- Identifying upper level troughs & ridges as depicted on 500 mb charts.
- How 500 mb controls sea-level surface low & high-pressure systems (e.g., influences as to where surface low & high-pressure weather systems originate, intensify, weaken, & move).
- Discussion & illustration of what a weather pattern is, & how to identify & recognize the four (4) basic 500 mb flow patterns.
- A discussion of how to develop a culture of routinely accessing both 500 mb & their companions at sea-level surface pressure charts & annotating specific features that will allow one to clearly see their connected inter-relationships. Finally, we will introduce the A.B, C, & D zones associated with a 500 mb chart & discussed in detail & applied in Heavy Weather Avoidance by Chen & Chesneau, chesneaumarineweather.com/?p=214
- ***It is also recommended attendees attend the other free seminar offered at the boat show on Thursday, April 19th, 2018 “An Introduction to Surface Pressure Concepts & Charts” from 11:45 AM to 12:45 PM and follow-up enrollment in the prepaid.