This one-day intensive program simplifies complex issues involving weather (WX), seamanship as well as the importance of boat outfitting all in a one-day setting. Please arrive at 8:15 a.m.
Lee Chesneau, Senior Marine Meteorologist
Marine WX Fundamentals for Offshore Cruising Including WX Forecasting, Decision Making, & Vessel Routing:
- A critical discussion of marine watches, advisories, & warnings as issued by the U.S. National Weather Service (NWS) & Environment Canada; from Small Craft Advisories/High Wind Warnings, to Gale, Storm, & Hurricane Force watches & warnings.
- Tying in the three core synoptic scale charts as generated from the NWS’s Ocean Prediction Center (OPC): Surface Pressure; Upper Air 500 Mb, Wind/ Wave Analyses & Forecast products.
- A hands-on exercise of understanding the key components of the previously noted synoptic scale products (charts), ranging from wind plots, fronts, troughs, squall & shear lines, clouds & local surface WX conditions, to upper air 500 mb flow patterns, wind & wave products (regional feet versus full ocean in meters); all products depicted on navigation friendly Mercator projection backgrounds.
- Discussion of the most updated publicly held resources, education & training opportunities
Robb Walker, experienced & accomplished doubled handed racing (Pacific Cup) & long distance cruising sailor
- Discusses Long distance cruising navigation strategies & techniques that can be used built around the publicly held marine weather products discussed.
Pam Wall, Experienced Sailor (World Wide) & Expert on Boat Outfitting
Proper Equipment to Have Aboard a Well-Founded Yacht- Above & Below Deck:
Pam discusses the important equipment to consider having aboard to deal with the WX, the sea state, personal safety and well-being, & to have aboard a well-founded sailing vessel. From the bow to the stern, there will be information on the correct seamanlike equipment needed aboard:
- Ground Tackle
- Downwind Sailing
- Safety Equipment
- Comfort Products
- Sun Protection
- Items that make life aboard and cruising more efficient, safe, and comfortable during smooth sailing & bad WX conditions, large seas, swift currents, & storm situations.